Schedule a Patient
Your provider's time is one of the most important resources of your office. Managing that time is vital. Partner's scheduling module is called
sam, which is short for "Scheduling and Appointment Minder." The
sam program is a patient scheduling system that finds the best appointment time for your patients while helping to ensure your provider's time is used well.
Watch this video to learn how to schedule an appointment in PCC's SAM program.
Introduction to Scheduling
Advanced Scheduling Situations
New Patients and Other Views
Learn how to configure the Appointment Book in PCC EHR to set regular hours, custom hours, default visit lengths, and more.
- Your provider's time is one of the most important resources of your office. Managing that time is vital. Partner's scheduling module is called
sam, which is short for "
samprogram is a patient scheduling system that finds the best appointment time for your patients while helping to ensure your provider's time is used well.
- The Partner scheduler has lots of features and tools, but you can learn to schedule appointments in just five minutes. Here are the steps:
- There are tools built into
samthat can help you review your schedule. There are also external scheduling reporting programs. The topics below will show you some of the different ways you can review your schedule for a provider or for your whole practice.
- The steps below will demonstrate multiple patient scheduling and teach you all the tools you need to find the best openings for them quickly.
- The Appointment Book is a visual scheduler inside PCC EHR.
- Learn how to configure providers for scheduling, set up regular and standard hours, and control user permissions in the Appointment Book in PCC EHR.
- SAM Schedule Screen Reference
- The Day View displays a provider's appointments for a day as well as how busy each provider is on that day. You can review your office's schedule and book appointments in any time slot. You can jump to a date that is unavailable or full and force in an appointment, a feature unavailable on the Normal View.
- Who booked an appointment on your screen? Why is a unit of time double or triple-booked? The Normal View only shows basic information about each unit of time. Use the Detailed View to review a busy schedule, as well as double-book or remove blocks.
- The Normal View in the Scheduler offers available times based on the criteria you entered on the Search Criteria screen. The earliest and best matches for the criteria you entered will be in the middle row, and the first available match is highlighted, ready to be confirmed.
- The topics in this section explain each scheduling step and each sam screen in detail. Read these sections to learn about each step in more detail and review the advanced features to help you quickly find the right appointment for every patient.
- You can launch the scheduler from several other Partner programs. For example, if your staff uses
pen(Phone Encounter Notes) to handle triage calls, you can schedule directly from that program. If your front desk needs to schedule a follow-up visit while checking out a patient, they can press [fkey title='F8' subtitle='Patient Schedule'] while posting charges in
checkoutand jump into the scheduler. In fact, the programs
tickle, and the
labmodule all have a link to
sam. If you use those tools, you will benefit from a direct link to the scheduler. Look for keys like this:
- Press [fkey title='F1' subtitle='Schedule Appt'] from the Normal, Detailed, Day, or Patient View to begin confirming appointments listed at the top of the screen. From the Notes and Confirmation screen you can enter notes and confirm the appointment:
- After you select a patient, you will see the SAM Search Criteria screen shown below. From here you can review information about the patient, add more patients and relatives for scheduling, jump to several other Partner programs, or enter visit criteria to schedule a new appointment.
- Review Patient Appointments
- There are three ways to remove an appointment from the schedule. You can record that the patient has canceled the appointment, you can delete an appointment (if it is a mistake, for example), or you can mark that the patient has missed the appointment. All three of these functions are controlled in the
- You can change the appointment notes for any appointment in the inquire program.
- Use inquire to look up a patient's future or past appointments. In
inquire, you can make changes to appointment status or appointment notes, or cancel an appointment. Finally, you can reschedule any appointment in inquire, moving an existing appointment to a new date and time.
- You can reprint the encounter form (superbill) for any appointment in the inquire program.
- When a patient wants to reschedule, you could make them a new appointment without canceling the old appointment, but then the patient would be double booked! Instead, use
inquireto both reschedule the appointment at a different time and cancel the old appointment at the same time.
samwill transfer the basic visit information to the new appointment.
- Run the
inquireprogram to review, cancel, or reschedule a patient's appointments.
- You can use the SAM Inquire program to review appointment history and upcoming appointments for multiple family members at the same time.