Post Insurance Payments
- After a payer reviews your electronic claim, they will send your practice an explanation of what charges are paid, adjusted, or denied. On paper, this information arrives as an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and a check. The electronic version of an EOB is called an Electronic Remittance Advice, or ERA. An ERA usually arrives in coordination with a direct deposit to your practice's bank account. You can use PCC software to post payment and adjustment information from both ERAs and traditional EOBs.
- Follow the steps below to autopost your incoming insurance payments and adjustments, or ERAs.
- The procedure below will show you the manual insurance-payment posting basics.
- Once you have created a Contract Fee Schedule, added allowable amounts, and assigned the schedule to insurance plans, you can post payments in
pipand compare them with to contract allowed amounts. Follow this procedure:
- Occasionally, insurance carriers will pay you interest for charges they have failed to pay in a timely manner. How can you record that interest in Partner, without throwing off your Accounts Receivable? An interest payment is unexpected revenue that should not be posted against the original charges. Is there a "correct" way of keeping track of the income in Partner? The procedure below will teach you one common method.
- Run the Autopost (
autopip) program to post payments and adjustments from insurance payors. If a payor does not send electronic remittance advice (ERAs) to your practice, or an unusual response could not be posted automatically, you can run the Post Insurance Payments (
pip) program to record payment and adjustment information manually.
- Insurance companies sometimes pay you more than the allowable amount for a charge, or pay you more than the remaining balance due for a charge. Since you can not post more money than was due, how can you track the extra money in Partner? The guide below illustrates one possible solution to this problem.
- Autopost Insurance Payments (autopip) Reference
- After you select ERA checks on the ERA Select List screen in autopip and press [fkey title='F1' subtitle='Process'], Partner will display the Confirm Selection screen.
- The autopip Daily View screen displays all incoming ERA check files for each day. You can use the screen to review autoposting activity by date.
- Use the Autopost program (autopip) to automatically post insurance payments and adjustments sent directly to Partner from carriers. Partner can receive ERAs from your payors, sort them into checks, and you can then quickly post them by running autopip.
- If autopip can not post any item in the ERA check files, it will create a Manual Post report and ask you to review it on the Manual Post Report screen.
- The Not Yet Printed screen in autopip displays all Manual reports that have not been printed, e-mailed, or saved to a workstation.
- The Autopost (autopip) program is a fast and easy way to post your incoming ERAs.
- The ERA Select List screen in Autopost (autopip) displays incoming ERA checks. Your insurance carrier may send a single ERA detailing many claim responses and several different checks. Partner splits that information into individual check and then displays them in the order Partner received them.
- Manual Insurance Payment Posting (pip) Reference
- The first step to manually post a payment is to find the patient or claim for which you have received an EOB.
- After you find a patient and select charges, the manual Post Insurance Payments (
pip) program displays the Payment and Adjustment screen.
- Use the Post Insurance Payments (pip) program to manually post insurance payments and adjustments that could not be posted using autopip.
- Once you have found a patient or claim, a list of unpaid insurance charges for the patient appears on the Charge Selection screen.